Monday, December 31, 2012

Sunday night late


Small but important (and painstaking) project this weekend, laying a bead of silicone caulk [arrow] to rescue the big mirror with the attached "Hollywood" light fixture in the master bath (similar to the mirror I removed in the guest bath now under reconstruction) before water intrusion destroyed the silver from the bottom up (as was happening even worse in the guest bath). (Don't plan on redoing this bathroom anytime soon.) The vintage faux marble sink and vanity will remain for now (perhaps for someone else to replace in the future). I still may replace the faucet fixture, however, since it's a little leaky (but I don't think it leaks to the floors below).

This bathroom contains a fiberglass tub enclosure, which could also use some help. (Maybe I'll strike a deal with a reconditioner to have the fiberglass units done in both bathrooms simultaneously.) Meanwhile, I've already spent hundreds of dollars in this bathroom replacing plumbing valves.

Ordered special almond-colored silicone caulk on the Internet for this project (caulk cost $3+ and shipping was $6+; had been unable to locate a small tube of it at the nearby Home Depot).

I first tried doing it on Saturday night but totally botched it (I was out of practice), so fixed it today (entailed lot of scraping with a razor blade).

This is the bathroom I first tackled when I moved here. Added the classical wallpaper border and "artifacts."

(including the Chac-Mool pottery piece, which I'd bought in Cancun following
a side trip to the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza, along with the smiling Etrucans [?])

No comments:

Post a Comment