Sunday, December 9, 2012

Grass not greener on the other side

Spoke recently to neighbor next door. (Her toilet next to my guest bath had a leaky wax ring, allowing water to seep onto my bathroom floor -- but we didn't really talk about that.) (And that's been fixed.)

She told me her other bathroom -- the one with a bathtub vs. just a shower -- has been out of commission for around three years because of a leak.  Plumbers had not been able to get to the bottom of the problem until recently, when they opened up the wall in the hallway between her unit and the next one over, which recently began experiencing problems of its own.

Having looked inside the wall at the plumbing for my neighbor's tub, a plumber told her that the only way to fix her tub would be to break floor tiles in the bath, disconnect the toilet from the wall, and remove drywall in that area to have access to address the leak. She said it sounded like it could be costly and that she might just have to hold off doing it. She was supposed to get an estimate on Friday but the plumber wasn't around. (He's very busy these days.)

Meanwhile -- and this sounds crazy but I'm afraid it's true -- in order to stop the flow of water to her toilet so they could replace the wax ring, they had to close a valve that's located beneath my sink, which also regulates the flow of cold water to the sink. (I'd noticed the cold water to my sink had been shut off.) The whole time it was shut off, however, (a few days) my neighbor and her daughter were unable to use the shower and had to bathe themselves using water from her sink. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment