Sunday, December 23, 2012

Saturday night late

Got lots done today. Had planned on going to Panda Kitchen & Bath up the road, so got up at reasonable hour (after going to bed not terribly late). Had a little pot of coffee and some stroganoff while reading on the Internet before showering and heading up to Panda a little after 2:00 (after taking pills).

I plan on having the fiberglass tub enclosure reconditioned (last step in the whole remodel process). The consultant at Panda told me -- after I'd told her I saw a YouTube from a guy in MA who reconditions these enclosures -- that no one in Florida does this. (She insisted I have the enclosure removed and replaced with a regular tub and tile surround.) She didn't know what she was talking about. See here and here. (I think she's in cohoots with a certain tile store up the street.)

The tub enclosure is very practical and easy to keep clean (no mildew in tile grout, etc.). If I can get it to look shiny and new, I'd prefer to go that route. Plus, all the plumbing has recently been redone for the enclosure and all leaks sealed (@ $280). (And imagine the labor costs involved in sawing the enclosure to pieces, having it hauled away, and installing a tub and tile surround.)

I frankly think that while tiles look nice around a traditional bathtub, they're impractical vs. a solid enclosure (and this is already there and one piece). The tile grout gets mildewed and eventually needs re-doing, and the tiles can start falling off the wall. More opportunity for water intrusion into the backing (unless expensive and difficult to cut concrete backer board is used, but even then...). I've looked into it and have decided on trying to rescue the fiberglass enclosure.

Otherwise, her advice was sensible. She said I needed a contractor or handyman and to talk to the building management about the projects that need to be done (remove old vanity, remove and replace old tire floor, hang light fixture from the repaired drywall, etc.) and get their recommendations, since they're in the know about these types of projects going on in the units. She said a nice 42" vanity and mirror would cost around $1200 (to be installed by Panda). (But maybe I want to find my own mirror.) Not terribly impressed with with that offer.

Meanwhile, the traffic today was crazy, as was to be expected. There were no parking spaces to be had in the shopping center where Panda is located, and drivers were going round and round waiting for someone to pull out of a spot. I went through one (slow) round of that and decided to park around the corner and across the railroad tracks. (Put steering wheel lock in place, since that neighborhood is crappy and there was no activity.) Five minute walk back to Panda. Then went to liquor store by Panda. (My usual rum was out of stock so had to buy something else, which was almost out of stock itself.) (I bought the last of the substitute that was on the shelves -- enough for now.)

Fortunately my truck was still sitting there on the other side of the tracks after doing my business, so I drove down to Home Depot to have a key made and then one block up to Walgreens to pick up a prescription. There were no parking spaces available in that (huge) parking lot either (which also serves a Ross, Office Max, Panera, Burger King, etc.), so I decided to get of there and drive back home. (Still have a few pills left of that prescription [the sleeping pill, estazolam].)

Meanwhile truck was laboring -- maybe need a new clutch. This laboring happens from time to time, but I was just happy to be back home and out of the vehicle.

Walked to convenience down the street store for a carton of cigs and some microwave sandwiches (for the long weekend -- not a lot of food here except the "stroganoff" and some eggs and frozen pizza). Then walked up to E's place for dinner (was hungry by then). (He comped it.)

E. wants to go to Flanigan's next Saturday at noon for lunch (probably his mother's suggestion). Sure, I'll go. Haven't been to Flanigan's in ages.

Day is over and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment