Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sunday night

All chores done (including giving Boozy a sitzbath). Watching show on volcanoes now. I wouldn't live anywhere near a volcano. (I was terrified of them as a child -- after seeing pictures of Pompeii in National Geographic -- though we don't even have volcanoes in Florida.) (Hurricanes were kind of fun, though, if you lived in a sturdy house with shutters; losing electricity and taking cold showers not so much fun.)

I was living in Helena, Montana when Mount St. Helens erupted (in 1980) in nearby Washington. We had ash raining down for days. (I used to have a film container full of it, which I'd collected off the sidewalk.) We were also advised not to breathe the air outside without wearing a mask or some kind of face covering. (I think I got a painter's mask.)

Visited Yellowstone Park while I lived out there. (It sits on a supervolcano.) Sounds like that's one we should all be afraid of. The whole park was bubbling and steaming and spewing geysers. (Stayed at Old Faithful Inn [pictured] -- named after the geyser outside.)

Beautiful old log hotel with enormous lobby and humongous hearth with chimney extending several floors up through the open multi-floored lobby area (to the roof), which I guess one day will be destroyed by the supervolcano.

No comments:

Post a Comment