Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday night personal

Wanted to get E. something for Valentine's Day, so I stopped off at Radio Shack on the way home (after getting off the bus at Home Depot to pay my kitchen remodel bill) and bought some speakers for his laptop (the last ones on the shelf) ($20), along with a card at the Walgreens in the same strip mall. The speakers appeared to have been returned, and it was the only box left on the shelf. Brought them home and tested them on the netbook and, unfortunately, they (or one of them) were defective. (There appeared to be short in the wiring or a faulty connection.)

I then got into the truck and drove back down to Radio Shack to get a refund and then head up to Target, telling the clerk there was something wrong with one of the speakers, but in a flash he whisked a brand-new box of the same speakers from the stock room, saying the box had not been opened. (Meanwhile I glanced back over at the shelf and it was empty.)

So they were trying to move the returned merchandise before putting out the fresh, which I can understand. I don't mind buying returned merchandise, but in this case there was definitely a defect.

Brought the new speakers home and tested them. Sounded great. Then I taped the Valentine's card onto the box and dropped it off at E.'s restaurant before heading out shopping. He was thrilled and called me back after he'd opened the card. Didn't get the message till I'd put my desktop back online, after doing a bunch of updates on the netbook (which had been sitting in a drawer for months).

The speakers are nothing spectacular but they sounded good to me (a helluva lot better than the tinny speakers built into the laptop - actually the worst criticism I'd read for this particular laptop) and don't take up a lot of room on his computer table. And they were simple to connect. And, I hope, will last longer than flowers or a box of chocolates. (Meanwhile I'm holding onto the receipt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment