Saturday, November 5, 2011

TGIF!

Was back at the gym tonight after a deep, dream-riddled albeit rather brief nap. (Weighed 161.8 lbs.) Had not been able to snooze at all on the bus home from work, as it was packed (fortunately I'd been able to get a seat when I embarked downtown) and there was a lively, bordering on sordid, conversation going on in my midst most of the way home. (Who could possibly sleep through that?)

Woke up from my nap kind of disoriented and even forgot to put on my wristwatch before walking down to the gym. (I look at the wristwatch to time my rests between sets.) Put on a jacket before I left the house, however (and glad I did). Was getting chilly. (Right now it's 61 F.)

Stopped off at the grocery store afterward for a few items, then watched a new "Dead Files" (good). Then a "How Do I Look?" I hadn't seen. Wanted to watch "The Big Chill" after that on the same channel ("Style") (an old movie I'd never seen but looked interesting, with actors I like), but the volume was barely audible on the movie although normal on the commercials. Thus, if you upped the volume for the movie, the commercials would come on and blast you out of your chair (and have the next-door neighbor banging on your wall).

This is an odious practice by TV broadcasting companies that has now been outlawed, but the law won't take effect until next year.  (Meanwhile I'll avoid anything on the "Style" channel, including "How Do I Look?", which I like, but not that much.)

See here.
On December 15, 2010, President Obama signed the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act requiring TV broadcasters to ensure that commercials air at a volume no louder than the programs in which they appear. Here are some facts you need to know regarding the CALM Act.

Who Will Enforce the CALM Act?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will enforce the CALM Act once it takes effect.

When Will the CALM Act Take Effect?

The CALM Act gives the FCC until December 15, 2011 to create and adopt rules - federal regulations -- by which the CALM Act will be enforced. One year following the date on which the FCC's CALM Act regulations are adopted, TV broadcasters, including all standard, cable and satellite broadcasters, will be required to comply with the regulations. . . .
(Watch the Republicans try to water this down, even though they voted for it.)

Years ago, I used to see TVs advertised that would modulate the volume in this situation, but no longer see that mentioned as a feature. (Maybe the Republicans got rid of that, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment